Starting from 24 January 2022, Indonesia has opened the doors of Riau Island’s Batam and Bintan for tourists from various countries. This plan was executed after various preparations under the coordination of the Ministry of Economy and the Ministry of Tourism and Creative Economy. Below are the frequently asked questions regarding the international travel regulations & requirements to enter Riau Islands.
Effective from 18 May 2022, RT-PCR test results are no longer required to be taken prior to departure from the country or region of origin. Scroll down and find more information before booking your holiday!
Yes, According to the Circular Letter of the Directorate General of Immigration No. IMI-0650.GR.01.01 of 2022 concerning the Ease of Immigration to Support Sustainable Tourism during the COVID-19 Pandemic effective from 27 July 2022, the Indonesian government has added countries and special entities whose citizens can enter Batam and Bintan with Visa Exemption and Visa On Arrival (VOA) for leisure purpose. Check here and find further regulation details about the updated list of countries and entry points!
According to the Circular Letter of the COVID-19 Task Force Number 25 of 2022 concerning Health Protocols for International Travel during the COVID-19 Pandemic, there is no mandatory self-quarantine for those who have received the complete dose of COVID-19 vaccine at least 14 (fourteen) days before departure.
International travelers who have not yet received vaccination or have only received the 1st dose of COVID-19 vaccine at least 14 (fourteen) days before departure must undergo 5 x 24 hours quarantine with mandatory RT-PCR test on day 4.
According to the Circular Letter of the COVID-19 Task Force Number 25 of 2022 concerning Health Protocols for International Travel during the COVID-19 Pandemic, as of 31 August 2022 and the Circular Letter of the Directorate General of Immigration No. IMI-0603.GR.01.01 of 2022 concerning the Ease of Immigration to Support Sustainable Tourism during the COVID-19 Pandemic, as of 30 May 2022, international traveler can enter Indonesia using Visit Visa Exemption, Visa On Arrival or E- Visa detailed in number 2. Visit this page for regulation details!
International travelers must comply with health protocols according to the Circular Letter of the COVID-19 Task Force Number 25 of 2022 concerning Health Protocols for International Travel during the COVID-19 Pandemic. These protocols can be summarized as follows:
1. All foreign travelers (foreign nationals) who will enter the territory of the Republic of Indonesia shall adjust their travel documents to ensure compliance with the provisions regarding the foreign travelers allowed to enter the territory of Indonesia, which includes Covid-19 vaccination certificates, recommended health protocols, along with the use of PeduliLindungi application while in Indonesia. Provisions for RT-PCR examination and quarantine period are no longer required.
2. Foreign travelers must show a card/certificate (physical or digital) proving that you have received the second dose of COVID-19 vaccine consisting of two doses and/or a booster (third) vaccine administered at least 14 days before departure.
3. Upon arrival at the entry points, foreign travelers must undergo a COVID-19 symptom check, including a body temperature check, with the following conditions :
If there is no symptom of COVID-19 and body temperature is below 37.5 degrees Celsius: no need to undergo RT-PCR examination upon arrival
If there is any symptom of COVID-19 or body temperature above 37.5 degrees Celsius: must undergo RT-PCR examination upon arrival.
4. As a requirement for domestic travel or departure abroad from Indonesia, international travelers with the status of Indonesian citizens aged 18 years and above must present a card/certificate (physical or digital) of receiving the second dose of COVID-19 vaccine (booster) displayed through the PeduliLindungi application. You can check out this link to find out about the detailed regulations for domestic travel.
5. The provision regarding the period of isolation (quarantine) no longer applies. All foreign travelers without symptoms related to COVID-19 and whose body temperature is below 37.5 degrees Celsius are able to continue their journey. However, it is highly recommended to monitor their health independently.
6. The above policies are temporary and will be readjusted according to global health developments.
Yes, all international travelers must present a card/certificate (physical or digital) proving that they have received two doses of COVID-19 vaccine administered at least 14 days before departure. Read the detailed regulation on this article to prepare yourself before departure. Check out this page to learn about how to verify your vaccination status.
According to the Circular Letter of the COVID-19 Task Force Number 25 of 2022 concerning Health Protocols for International Travel during the COVID-19 Pandemic, RT-PCR tests are only required for those who are detected with a symptom of COVID-19 or showing a body temperature above 37.5 degrees celsius upon arrival.
According to the Circular Letter of the COVID-19 Task Force Number 25 of 2022 concerning Health Protocols for International Travel during the COVID-19 Pandemic, you will be allowed to continue your journey.
In the event that the results of RT-PCR show positive results, continue with the following provision:
If asymptomatic or experiencing mild symptoms, isolation or treatment is carried out in isolation hotels or centralized isolation facilities set by the government; or
If accompanied by moderate or severe symptoms, and/or with uncontrolled comorbidities, isolation or treatment at a COVID-19 referral hospital is carried out;
The cost of isolation/treatment for foreigners is borne independently, while for Indonesian citizens it is borne by the government.
Sponsor parties, Ministries, Institutions, or State-Owned Companies that approve the entry permit for you will then be responsible for it.
The Indonesian government recognizes all types of vaccines. The card/certificate will be accepted in English and other foreign languages. Please make sure your vaccination data is verified beforehand by Indonesia’s Ministry of Health.
If you are planning to visit Riau Islands, we need to kindly remind you to always comply with our regulations and requirements and always practice healthy habits such as wearing a mask in public places, washing hands frequently, and implementing social distance with other travelers.
Make sure you check out the availability of your chosen accommodation as well as the CHSE (cleanliness, health, safety, and environmental sustainability) certification of the places you’re planning to visit.
Don’t forget to also follow our official social media account on Instagram @wonderfulindonesia, Facebook @WonderfulIndonesia, Twitter @wondefulid, TikTok @wonderfulid, and our Youtube Wonderful Indonesia to keep yourself updated with the latest information about Indonesia’s traveling regulations.
*Disclaimer : This article was updated on August 31, 2022. Due to the dynamic nature of travel regulations, please refer to official websites and links found in this article for the latest updates and developments.
Batam-Bintan is Now Officially Open! Here are The Rules and Regulations as of 31 August 2022
5 Exciting Chinese New Year Experiences in and Around Riau Archipelago
Batam Goes International: Be at the BATAM INTERNATIONAL CULTURE CARNIVAl 2018
3 Ways to Maximize Holiday during China National Day in Indonesia
MAJESTIC DREAM: The Latest Luxurious Ferry to Serve BATAM-SINGAPORE with 317 Seats